Thursday, December 21, 2006

Silver Linings

I was driving home after work yesterday when I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw something glittery sticking out from my head at an awkward. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was a strand of white hair. A STRAND OF WHITE HAIR!!

There it was, standing tall and proud like some sort of white flag of surrender. I can't believe it. I've never had any white hair before. All my life, my hair has always been nice and black - well, black at least. I can just about feel the heavy weight of age creeping up upon my shoulders and no amount of shrugging is going to throw it off.

I tried to ignore it but I could see it out of the corner of my eye, fluttering about wildly in the breeze of my car's air-con, and it was driving me mad.

With one hand on the steering wheel and one eye on the road, I tried to grab the little sucker and yank it out. It isn't easy I tell you. After several close brushes with the kerb, a lamp post, and a bus driven by an irate little man, I finally won the battle against the aforementioned follicle and extricated it from my scalp.

Holding it triumphantly above me like some sort of prize, I felt the thrilling rush of victory. One point for me, nil points for the Grim Reaper of atrophy. Giving the rest of my head a brief once over, I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised that it was only this one hair which decided to become a traitor and turn silver. A lone ranger.

But still, I know that this was probably just an advance scout. The main army surely can't be far behind.

That's scary.

Time to batten down the hatches.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't u heard that if u pluck one out, a bunch of new ones will grow?
they are vengeful.
and they ALWAYS strike in unity.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

No! I never heard that before! Why you never tell me earlier??!!

I shall hold you personally responsible for any more sprouting of white hair on my head!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aih. wrinkles, white hair.
life.
life is like a bath.
The longer u stay in it, the more wrinkled u become.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home