Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Malaysian Police, Pathetic and Beyond Hope?

Can nothing be done?

A lot has been said about the deplorable state of our local police force, but you'll never know just how bad it is until you experience it for yourself. It was 8:30 in the morning when I came across this post, and reading it was enough to break my heart. Hearing what the author was put through by our very own men-in-blue made me feel paradoxically angry, infuriated, sad...and most of all, helpless.

Mind you, this was not a one of case. How many more times must we open the newspaper only to be confronted by yet another case of police arrogance, brutality, incompetence and corruption? It makes me laugh that some of our ministers wanted to accord Selangor with the status of a 'Developed State'. How can we possibly be considered 'developed' when our police force is still in such a deplorable condition? When their ranks are permeated by such filth?

I consider myself a truly patriotic Malaysian. There are so many things to love about our country, the weather, the culture, the camaraderie - you name it. Sadly, my patriotism does not extend to our local police. I know there are some good apples amidst a sea of rotten ones, but I truly believe that they are the exception. This I know from my own run-ins with the police force.

Shame and Pity; will these 2 words continue to describe the feelings I harbor everytime I see our policemen all decked out in their fancy uniforms and decorations?


When it happens to you...

I once blogged about one of my encounters with the police. The post is here if you're interested. This reminds me of a friend of mine whoo had a recent 'encounter' with the police. It happened at one of their haphazardly set-up roadblocks where my friend was pulled over for an exhaust tip which was supposedly 'too large' (Doesn't matter that it was deemed legal by the JPJ, because whatever the police says goes right? Even if it is not stated in any ruling whatsoever).

My friend tried to reason with the police that the exhaust he was using was indeed legal, but after several attempts, he apparently got the police officer all riled up. Annoyed, the police officer pulled him aside and told my friend that if he did not want to 'settle', he will be charged for illegal drug possession.

My friend was incredulous. What drug posession?

It was then that the police took out a packet of white drugs and threatened to plant them in my friend's car. All of this happened in plain view of the other police officers, who seemed unperturbed by such behavior. In the end, my friend had no choice but to fork over RM300 to this incredibly corrupt, thug-like police officer.

Sad isn't it? We are all law-abiding citizens who are working hard in order to contribute to the growth and prosperity of our nation. In no way do we deserve to be treated like criminals. To be threatened by the very people who are supposed to uphold law and order in our country. To be shamed and humiliated by these police animals.

Animal: an.i.mal Audio pronunciation of "animal" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-ml)
n.
  1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.
  2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.
  3. A person who behaves in a bestial or brutish manner.


Describes the police exactly doesn't it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Athalia said...

I try not to think about them if I can help it.
Not like anything can be done.
*Thinks: Am I being fatalistic here?*
Anyway, I've never let on that I've been following your blog for the past few months. Glad to see some activity again after a period of silence!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

athalia : Nice to see you here. Yea, i thought that I better post something lest all my 'fans' begin drifting away ...hahahah.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home