Monday, April 04, 2005

Golden Sands

I just returned from a weekend church retreat at Golden Sands, Port Dickson. Yup, the port where not only the sands sport a tinge of gold, but the water as well. You can thank the mud for that.

Polluted water aside, the retreat was truly a memorable one. I was rejuvenated not only physically, but more importantly, spiritually as well. Having gone through several continuous months of daily grind, this retreat brought about a much needed breath of fresh air into my life.

Sometimes, when you're so caught up in the things of the world - the never ending pursuit of success, of personal glory, riches and fortune - you end up losing sight of what's really important in life. God took the time to remind me of his love and of who and what I am. For that, I'm grateful.

I used to think of myself as a person with lots of dreams and ambitions. Ever since I was young, I would entertain huge dreams about the things I want to achieve when I grew up. I would constantly day dream about the life I would lead, the accomplishments I would rake in; and on a more materialistic note, the cars I would own *snigger*

I know now that those dreams and ambitions which I previously held so dear are insignificant compared to what God has in store for me. It is also because of this realisation that the drive and passion within me burns brighter than ever. I am emboldened by the knowledge that God is on my side. And if God is for me, who can be against me?

Lord, I avail myself - my gifts, talents, inner drive, resources and all that I am and have.

On a less serious note, the retreat also taught me several very, very important things about my friends and life in general. They are, in no particular order, listed below:
  • To some of them, a bar of soap rivals snickers as a snack of choice
  • Inhaling the fumes from a BBQ pit can cause full grown men to degenerate into mid-riff baring, pondan running, gender challenged beings
  • Several of my friends are very talented musicians. They composed the very rousing, 'Symphony of Snores'. A score which is gauranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat (or in this case, your bed)..hahahah
  • Diving for Dummies part #1 - Do not attempt to perform a full-blown swan dive into a piddling 2 feet of water (especially if you weigh more than a hundred kg)
  • Diving for Dummies part #2 - Do not attempt to dive onto a submerged rock (doesnt matter how much you weigh)
  • Dog poo and bare feet do not mix
  • Some of my friends are unaturally talented at useless games such as '0078' and 'Goggles'
  • My pastor and Sabah-ans are unaturally bad at useless games such as '0078' and 'Goggles'
  • Some of my friends like drinking water, LOTS of it, from little white styrofoam cups

Ahhh, I cant wait for the next retreat!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yea, I wonder who's the soap eating dude...hmmmmm

8:48 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Hahahh, look on the bright side. How many people can honestly say that they have eaten soap? Who knows, it could emerge as an alternative to brushing your teeth! ...hahah

11:59 AM  
Blogger ::Lord Apprentice:: said...

hmm..u bar of soap eating hippies. whats nexT? liquid shower foam?

How was the retreat location anyway? Worth a weekend getaway?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

The retreat was in Golden Sands, PD. The place aint too bad, but its only fun if u go there in a with a church camp or something. It aint gonna be fun if its just you and a few buds.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

oooohhh, Mr.Lug Nuts
Saucy!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home