Wednesday, August 17, 2005

My Very Own Lap Dance

Geeks Of The World Unite

All the tech geeks out there will surely agree with me on this. The ultimate 'lap dance' is the one which involves nestling a newly purchased laptop on your lap. Not the kind where a busty, silicone-enhanced girl gyrates herself against you to the rhythm of some cheesy, konon-nya seductive song.

Of course, I'm speaking from an 'outsiders' point of view since I've never had a lap dance performed on me before...*ahem*. But c'mon, how could it possibly be better than having 1.73 gigahertz of processing power, together with a gig of RAM and 128 MB of graphic performance right there on your very own lap?


I Bit The Bullet and Bought It

I don't know why it took me so long to post about this. It's been exactly 1 week, 3 days and 9 hours since I bought my laptop from PC fair and there hasn't been a single mention of it on my blog. I guess it shows my level of restraint and self-discipline...hahah. It's either that or I secretly know that it isn't that interesting a topic to post about in the first place (I mean, do you care if I bought a new laptop? See what I mean). Ah well, since I've got nothing else better to post today, I'm going to subject you, my dear reader, to a totally pointless write-up on my new......laptop! *cue sinister music*


Acer is the Best, Far above the Rest...la la la

I went for the PC Fair at the brand spanking new KLCC 1 week 3 days and 9 hours ago, and in spite of the packed halls with its thousands of jostling, sweaty bodies; I managed to get myself a new laptop.

Walking into the exhibition hall, I was confronted with literally a zillion laptops on display. There were so many different brands and configurations to choose from that a non-tech person who's looking to buy a PC would definitely suffer a nervous breakdown and be reduced into a blabbering, foaming imbecile.

Thankfully, I have attained a sufficiently high level of Geek-hood as a result of countless hours spent poring over tech magazines and CNET's website. Technology jargons are swiftly deciphered by my powerful mind! A sales person's techno-babble is silenced to a mere whimper by my steely gaze! Ahh, the intoxicating effects of power.


Back to Reality

*Ahem* Anyway, I was basically looking for a laptop for my office and personal work with the ability to dabble in some form of gaming on the side. Okayyy, to be honest, I was looking for a kick-ass gaming rig with the ability to do some word processing on the side. But since my budget did not allow me to own an above-mentioned kick-ass rig, I had to settle for something in between. A compromise between versatility, performance and price.

In the end, I settled for the Aspire 1692 by Acer. Check out the pics below.







The specs are pretty decent, with a 1.73GHZ Pentium M processor with 2MB Cache. However, one of the main reasons why I got this laptop was because it came with a pretty cool graphics card in the form of ATI Radeon's X700 with 128MB of standalone memory. After upgrading my RAM to 1GB, I am glad to report that this baby is able to handle most of the recent games with ease. I've been playing Half-Life 2 and Far Cry at a resolution of 1280x800 with all the graphic settings set to 'high' and it has been extremely smooth. As smooth as a baby's buttocks to be exact :)

The other cool stuff (cool to me, at least) which the laptop is equipped with is a slot-loading dual layer DVD-burner, 5-in-1 memory card reader, Bluetooth module, a 15.4" reflective widescreen, 80GB HDD and WiFi. Actually, I'm not sure if WiFi is considered a 'cool' feature anymore since practically every laptop comes equipped with it nowadays...hahah.

I actually considered getting the model which came with a 14.1" reflective widescreen, since the reduced size and weight would make it much easier for me to lug my laptop around, which I frequently do. However, the trade-off is that it only comes with 64MB of video memory in its X700. After pondering upon this for a grand total of 30 seconds, I came to this conclusion ...."Screw portability!". What I REALLY want is ample screen real estate and good 3D performance.

Even now as I sit in my office nursing my aching right arm (after lugging my laptop from the LRT station), I don't for one moment regret my decision.

After all, I'm sure every tech geek out there would have done the same :)

12 Comments:

Blogger NickTay said...

Woah!! Sweet!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Thanks :) Needless to say, my social life has taken a big hit ever since I got my notebook...hahah

12:20 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

senor bernardo, you know i love you and all, but all i saw was "lap dance" and then some pretty pics. the rest was just incomprehensible for me. i guess i'm not geek-ducated. haha.... i come to ur site all the time and u never visit mine!!! what is up with that?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

bernice : Hey, I am a regular reader of your blog! It's one of the few blogs which I find worth reading :)

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh i actually walked the pc fair twice man... found that the buys were marginally cheaper or comparative to low yat low everday prices. haha. that should be the motto ler for low yat. sommore u dont haf to feel so 'raped'. u just wait, cos my dad upgrading my comp soon. half life 2 challenge approaching...

Norm

3:36 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Norm : U know what the funny thing was? At the PC fair, there were around 3-4 Acer booths. The first one was located in the first hall, and you'll see it the moment you enter. The last one is located right at the exit. What's strange is, the price of their laptops get cheaper and cheaper (by maybe 100-200 bucks) from the 1st booth to the 4th booth. Pure coincidence? or a genius marketing plan?...heheheh

5:07 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

i hope you're not lying to me.... i set up a chatterbox just for you so chatter away.... P.S: Tell Norm I said hi.

11:20 PM  
Blogger ac said...

waaa, tempting, very tempting indeed...whats the price range u paid, bernard?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

ac: Altogether it set me back a smidgen over RM5K.

david: yes, it is I!...hahahah. I read ur blog, cool. We both got new toys to play with :)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

An Apple wouldn't be practical for the kind of 'work' I'm doing....Hahhaha.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i love ur laptop! i myself is planning to buy aspire 5670! i think im gonna do the same as u did, like upgrade to 1gb memory. well btw, how much did it cost u for upgrade? compare to the retail price, how much cheaper are the laptops ther during the fair? help me out! :D

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home