Monday, January 09, 2006

Deadwood

HBO is on a roll



I've been watching the relatively new series from HBO called Deadwood and waddaya know, it's pretty darn good! Amazing, those chaps at HBO are. Not only did they churn out the fabulous Sopranos, now they have Deadwood and Rome as well under their belts. I'm a bona fide HBO-fanatic now I tell ya.


Yee Haw! Smoke Em' Injuns!

The series is set in the wild wild west, when the whiteman was making his mad lemmings-like rush for the gold in the Rocky Mountains. Now before you start having images of Billy Ray Cyrus strumming his 'Don't Tell My Achy-Breaky Heart' in your mind, let me assure you that the country western overtones of this show is thankfully subdued. In fact, it has more of a pioneering, buckaneer-ing feel to it, which is definitely a good thing.

Watching it, you could almost imagine yourself as one of the pioneers, bravely setting foot out into a new world in search of riches and fortune. Ahhh, smell the scent of pine trees in the fresh air! Hear the burbling sound of the nearby creek! Relive your inner Marlboro man ambitions! Bear in mind though that all this will only appeal to guys, girls on the other hand will enjoy the show simply because it has a pretty good storyline. Well, it's their loss...hahah.


You *@&#^@ Deputy Dawg!


As with a lot of other HBO original shows, there is a @*#&@ lot of cursing in this show. Plus some nudity as well, although its not gratuitious in nature. This makes the show unsuitable for those @*#@% kids. To me however, all the @*#&@ bad words which are thrown about add to the overall feel and atmosphere of the show. I mean c'mon, these guys ae *@&#@ miners and gunslingers. The great unwashed. Certainly, minding their *#&@% language would be the least of their #&#%$ concerns.

Doesn't the presence of such swearing influence me in the least bit? I don't believe so. I am still as politically correct and polite as ever. I frown upon the wanton use of swear words as a form of self-expression. And if you don't agree with me, you can go @*&^#@& yourself.


Speaking of Politically Correct

Watching this show however, I wonder how the descendants of the Red Indians will feel if they saw it. After all, this show minorly depicts the Red Indians as pure heathen savages, as mere footnotes in the whiteman's conquest of the west. Maybe the Red Indians will have a more prominent role in the later seasons, I don't know. For now, all they do is appear once in awhile only to have their heads chopped off by the surprisingly physically superior ang moh. Only in the movies eh...heh heh.

2 Comments:

Blogger ::Lord Apprentice:: said...

havent seen this one yet. but ROME is awesome.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Ya man, I haven't been following Rome, but I intend to buy the complete season on DVD when it comes out. Thumbs up!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home