Monday, January 09, 2006

Port Dickson, a beach of many colours (mostly the colour of sludge and mud)

Would you want to go on a vacation in Port Dickson?

Quote from a local newspaper, "Port Dickson was once a popular holiday destination but has lost most of its charm". No shit Sherlock, you don't say.

Old people, and I mean really old people, tell me that Port Dickson used to have pristine beaches, and that the sands were a brilliant hue of white and gold. All that is lost on me though. As far back as I can remember, Port Dickson has always been, well, a pretty crappy beach. In fact, the waters in PD are so polluted that you risk severe mutation if you ever tried to take a dip in its waters. Rumour has it that a foreign tourist took a swim in the beaches of PD only to emerge with a third-eye smack dab in the centre of his forehead, and webbed buttocks.

Will the beach ever improve? I doubt it. I mean, short of permanently banning any ships from trawling the Straits of Melaka, I don't see how the the beach can possibly be cleaned up. It would be cool if it could though, then we wouldn't have to travel all the bloody way to the East Cost for crystal clear waters.

Despite all this, I do have good memories of PD though. I've lost count of the number of retreats and camps which I've attended in PD, and all of them have been great fun. Despite the fact that nobody with an ounce of sense would set foot in the waters (thus ruling out any form of water sports whatsoever), we still managed to organize a heap load of activities. Hmmm, on second thought, I take back the statement regarding people not setting foot in the waters. The last time I went to PD, I remember seeing a few lunatics swimming in the sea next to an outlet of a sewage pipe. I wonder where those dudes are now, probably auditioning for a role in X-Men 4 or something.

With this in mind, I sincerely hope that the Association of Hotels Negri Sembilan and its State Government succeed in their efforts to boost the image and appeal of Port Dickson. They've even managed to persuade Hard Rock Cafe to open an outlet there as reported in today's papers, not bad! I guess only time will tell how effective their efforts are. In the meantime, anyone care for a game of spot-the-floating-sewage?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home