Monday, August 28, 2006

I Finally Watched Broken Bridges!

...and it was excellent!



Last Thursday, I brought my mother and sister to KLPac to catch the musical 'Broken Bridges'. I am not what you would normally call a very artsy-fartsy person, but I do enjoy the odd performance now and then.

Leaving my office at around 7:30, what would normally be a 15 minute trip took more than an hour thanks to the stupid rain, which caused the long-kangs in KL to overflow like a clogged up toilet bowl. This caused several areas in KL to flood, resulting in one or two kancils floating away (probably).

Thankfully, the show was delayed slightly due to the jam. The policy for such performances is that if you are late, you'll have to wait til the intermission before being allowed in. So strict hor, but I guess they have a good reason for it. I mean, who wants to be interrupted during a particularly rousing performance by a fat, sweaty guy squeezing himself down the aisles?

So after sitting in a jam for over an hour, rushing like mad up the steps of KLPac and hurriedly placing my butt in my allocated seat, I was all ready for a night of musical fun.

I really did like the show, and not just because my girlfriend is acting in it (hahah...I ain't THAT biased). To me, the songs, set, script were pretty good for a local production and they managed to very accurately capture the look and feel of Ipoh in the 60's.

From what my girlfriend told me, the original script was shortened considerably due to time constraints, so quite a number of important scenes involving the development of several of the plays key characters were ommitted. While this is the shame, the show still had enough humorous and tragic bits to keep you riveted to your seats.

My personal favorite characters from the show have got to be Mei Ling (of coz lah, my gf mah), Leong, Ringo and Mr.Wong. They really stood out from the rest with their acting and singing, so props to them.

I ain't a professional critic of plays so I don't have much to write here. I just want to say that if you haven't already watched it, do yourself a favour a get your grubby hands on some tickets pronto! :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ::Lord Apprentice:: said...

hmm...seeing as how you're just as neanderthal like ..like me...and u liked the show, i guess it aint that bad..

get me some free tickets dude! haha

10:56 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Sure, I'll give you a dress and you can pretend to be one of the ensemble ...hahahah.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home