Monday, February 06, 2006

My Gong Xi Gong Xi

Hou Yat Koh Ying Chun Fah

Well, Chinese New Year has come and gone. For me, this festival has always been a flurry of activities, visitations, ang pow collecting and bondings with family and friends. This year was no different. All in all, I had a great Chinese new year although my ang pow collection was pathetic. I won’t mention the amount but RM250 is not a lot of money nowadays.

The past week was spent consuming unhealthy amounts of carcinogenic dried pork meat, staying up till ungodly hours in the morning, drinking bucket loads of sugar-laden fizzy drinks and faring terribly at blackjack. Ahhh, what a great time it was. Here’s my CNY story told in a series of photos (because I’m too lazy to type much).


My Chinese New Year

As usual, the first day of Chinese New Year was family reunion time. This time around it was held in my uncle’s house somewhere in Sungai Buloh. I know to most people, family reunion time is usually spent gathered around a TV watching either crappy Chinese movie reruns, or a bunch of annoying little girls singing Chinese New Year songs. Well for my family, we watched discovery channel instead. I must say, I learnt a lot about the mating habits of male bull seals this CNY.


(above: Actual food was minimal, but we had tons of junk food..muahahah)


(above: My lil ol' granny)


(above: For Chinese, its customary to grab wildly for any morsel of food you can find )


(above: Yup, we're watching the discovery channel)


(above: Who's the good looking dude with the camera?)


(above: You can't see it from this photo, but my grandma is beaming with pride at how much food my 12 year old cousin can devour in a minute. Grandmothers, they take pride in the strangest things.)


(above: My cousin from Rawang. All my cousins are younger than me, with the youngest still wearing diapers. I sometimes wished I had older cousins...sighh)

This year’s CNY was also ‘special’ because I achieved the unprecedented feat of visiting Putrajaya not once, not twice but THREE times! In fact, I’m so sick of the place that if I’ll scream if I see another signboard with the word ‘Precint’ on it.

*PRECINT*

Argghhhhhhhhhhh!!!

*PRECINT*

Aaaaaaiiiiieeeeeeeeee!!

You must be wondering if I have a fetish for our government’s administrative capital but let me assure you, my fetishes are restricted solely to leather whips, chains and dentures (Hmmm, did I say too much?).

The reason I had rombongans to Putrajaya was because my mom had never seen the place before, and being the good son that I am, I thought that I’ll take her on a little tour. Of course, this was followed by my grandma never having seen the place before, my outstation uncle never having seen the place before, and some of my friends never having seen the place before. And being the good grandson/nephew/friend that I am, I am sure you can guess what transpired.

When I went to Putrajaya with my group of friends, we took loads of photos but due to the fact that most of them are too indecent to be viewed by anyone under the age of 50, I'll just post this picture I took of my car. Voila!


(above: Beautiful isn't it? And the building is not bad either...hyuk hyuk. Cliche, I know.)

On the second day of Chinese New Year, my sister kindly treated my mom and I to tim-sum at Sunway hotel. The food was good, although the service was really quite slow. I mean c’mon, how long does it take to steam a few dumplings and paus? The slow service did not prevent me from having a good time with my family though, coz we don’t often get the chance to eat out together.


(above: Mother and Daughter. Son is nowhere to be seen.)


(above: These tim-sums travelled at 1 TSPH (Tim Sum Per Hour). Slowwwwww)

After makan-ing, I brought my family to Aquaria in KLCC. For those of you who are blur, Aquaria is Malaysia’s very own indoor aquarium housing a variety of sea creatures from Sting Rays to Sharks. Cool! I’ve been itching to see the place for quite some time now actually. However when I arrived at the entrance, I was greeted by the sight of a long line of sweaty, hot and bothered Malaysians, all patiently waiting for their turn to purchase their admission ticket. The long was so bloody long that it stretched all the way from the ticketing counter to the bloody car park! There was no way I would subject myself to such torture, especially on a holiday. Disappointed, I proceeded to drown my sorrows with a cone of Haagen-Dazs goodness.


(above: My sis and mom aren't big fans of Aquaria, hence their smiling faces.)

Seeing as how I won’t be able to see any real live sharks for now, I’ll make do with this tacky picture I found online.


(above: It isn't quite the same as the real thing is it?...sighhhh)

To be continued....

5 Comments:

Blogger NickTay said...

I am the total opposite! All my cousions are way way older than me, I even have a cousin who is older than my mom! I was an uncle before i was even born! :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Hahahah, two sides of a spectrum.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice happy pics of your family. hope you had a good CNY! ;)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

chaz : I hope you had a good CNY too. We'll catch up soon yeah!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Nahh, I prefer blow-up dolls

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home