Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Don't Interfere in Islam, non-Muslims Warned

Oh Geez

Today's newspaper reported on the statements of a Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, Datuk Seri Mohd Nazri Abdul Aziz. In one of his speeces, he warned non-muslims that the Government will not hesitate to use the Sedition Act against those who insulted Islam.

Fair and well right, after all nobody likes to have their religion insulted. However, what if the tables were turned? If another religion was insulted, would the targeted group be allowed to use that very same Sedition Act to prosecute the perpetrators? Or does this 'sanctity of religion' only apply to Islam in Malaysia? Datuk Seri Mohd Nazri Abdul Aziz's statement reeks of biasness and hypocrisy to me. I wonder what will happen if a non-Muslim politician were to go on stage and warn Muslims not to insult other religions. He'd probably be hanged by his bollocks or something.

Same statement, different person, different consequences.


I insult you, you insult me, we are one big insultin familyyyy

Here's another thing, what exactly constitutes an insult against Islam? Is the mere act of drawing several silly cartoons (which are not even that funny in the first place) considered an insult? Would a non-muslim who questions Islamic Law be accused of insulting the religion? What about Muslims who question so-called Islamic laws, are those considered insults as well? Surely something which is divine in nature cannot be blemished or tarnished in any way through the actions of mere mortals like ourselves.

A person adheres to a religion because of their belief in its principles and its teachings. Does it matter if a few odd people here and there don't hold your religion in an equally high state of esteem? Will their derogatory actions and speech in any way diminish your faith, or the sanctity of your religion? If you answered no, then why are certain people still getting so worked up over a few supposedly negative comments (which aren't even all that negative when you get down to it)?


Religion is an important matter, especially to Muslims

Datuk what's-his-name then went on to say that "Religion is an important matter, especially to Muslims". What's with the use of the word 'especially'? Is he trying to say that religious matters are not important when it comes to other races?

I take that as an insult. Now according to preceeding events of a similar nature, I have every right to go about blowing up buildings, torching cars, protesting in fits of anger and condemning every single living thing on earth. But I wont. Because I believe I am better than that. I will not stoop to such depths just to 'defend' something which does not need to be defended by my earthly, ephemeral actions in the first place.

I am amazed that a country like Malaysia, which is supposed to be a model nation of multi-racial harmony, can be a home to one-sided, foolish neoradicals such as this. I thought that living side-by-side with other races will teach a person how to be more tolerant, not more defensive, like how a wild beast is when backed into a corner.

Looks like I was wrong.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger frostee said...

Yeah... I read it too and was going "what the?"

I'll probably take the advice of another Datuk what's his name, cos I don't like it and I'll pack my bags and kiss this country goodbye.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

This particular Datuk watzisname has quite a reputation for spewing garbage.

3:14 PM  
Blogger ::Lord Apprentice:: said...

more evidence that this country is a lil screwy.

6:15 PM  
Blogger frostee said...

nothing but trash, trash and more trash.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Sighh, what is our country becoming. I love Malaysia and I think it is a great little place, seriously, but I can't help being a bit worried for our country's political future.

9:21 AM  
Blogger frostee said...

Well... what we lack is good opposition parties. We lack alternatives, and people tend to vote for the party instead of the person, that's how we now have the parliament as a zoo.

What would you do if you are on a ship that is sinking? We clearly can see it with our own eyes now.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

I really really hope that all the non-muslims (and moderate muslism) would see what is happening underneath our very noses - the islamification of Malaysia.

Let's give our support to the opposition in the next elections. BN having such a huge mandate is not a good thing for the country.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home