Monday, March 06, 2006

Partying, Melaka Style! - courtesy of Hitz FM

Let's Get It Started...Woo Hoo

Well folks, I'm backkkk! My last weekend literally flew by. Everything passed by in a psychedelic blur of vivid colours, hectic events, hard partying and blaring music. Fun, it definitely was, but such a cocktail of hectic activities is a sure recipe for physical exhaustion.

In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, I'm referring to Hitz FM's 9th Birthday Bash which was held in Melaka during the weekend. The event was basically one huge outdoor party from 3pm to 12:30pm, followed by an all-nighter at one of Melaka's more happening party spots.


(above: the line-up of performers)

My mate, and Malaysian artiste-extraordinaire *tan-tan-taraaaa* *drum-roll* Liang *cymbals* was invited by Hitz to perform his hit single 'Show Me Watcha Got' and my group of friends and I went as part of his dance crew. Our journey to Melaka began early last Saturday morning.....


Road to Hitz Street Jamz 2006



We planned to set off at 8 in the morning, but knowing how punctual Malaysians can be, it came as no surprise that we were an hour behind schedule (thanks to my dear friend Hazel). Anyway, it was no biggie, seeing that we only had to be in Melaka by 11am for a sound check. That gave us plenty of time, eventhough we were travelling in a big, bulky van whose horsepower can be counted using your fingers and toes.


(above: Mark looked exhausted while waiting, all thanks to...Hazel, muahah)

After making our first pit-stop for fuel and char siu paus, we were on our way. 150 kilometers of highway, oil plam plantations and suicidal motorists lay between us and our destination. A one and a half-hour drive through miles of plain, sterile, boring scenery...*yawnnn*.

Seeing as how we were driving to a Hitz FM event, it only seemed appropriate that we tuned in to Hitz FM during the journey. I am not a big fan of Hitz FM but I had no other choice, seeing that the alternative was listening a compilation of Chinese New Year songs (Xin Nian Tau, Xin Nian Tau *tong tong tong chaing*!), which would have felt really silly in March.


(above: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

We arrived in Melaka at right on time, not before passing by some pretty weird road signs. One of it was a digital displayed which showed the number of critical injuries and deaths in Melaka, followed by the greeting 'Welcome to Melaka'.

Talk about strange. It's like walking into a hotel and having the concierge say to you "Welcome! By the way, 58 people have mysteriously died in this hotel. I hope you enjoy your stay!".

Weird eh, only in Melaka I suppose.


(above: another unintentionally funny sign, posted in front of a clinic of all places)


Waiting, waiting, waitingggg...

With a few hours to go before showtime, we took the time to lounge around in our hotel rooms and brush up on some last minute dance steps.


(above: Doesn't he look like Castello from Julie's Biscuits?)


(above: Lounging in the hotel room)

I've always hated having to wait. There's just something about the act of sitting idly sitting around that really drains a person's energy. Oh well, at least I had my red bull to rely on. I consumed not one, but two cans at a go (I'm sure there must be some medical warning against this) just to make sure that I won't be punctured between the 2 dances.

Sad to say, it didn't work. Curse you Red-Bull!!!


(above: rrnnngghhhuuooouuggghhhh!! <-- A bulls mating call)


Malaysian weather sucks!!

At around 2pm, we had to all gather at a specially set-up tent to wait out the remaining few hours. One thing about outdoor parties in Malaysia, they sound better in concept than in reality. The weather is just to friggin hot for anything which requires you to leave the comfortable confines of an air-conditioned room. Within minutes, everyone was sweating by the bucket loads. So much for trying to look composed and cool eh...hahah.


(above: You can't tell from the picture, but it was stinkin hot, @%#$@%)


(above: The main stage for the night)


(above: Being girls, they were allowed to hog the only fan under the tent)


Showtime!

The event finally kicked off at around 3 pm, with the opening act consisting of our very own homegrown rappers, the K Town Clan. They put in a spirited, energetic performance and had the crowd pretty worked up in a matter of minutes.


(above: The K Town Clan)

This was followed by performances from DJ Rudy and JJ, Frequency Cannon and Refugeez to name a few. I didn't manage to take any photos though because by then, I had retreated to the air-conditioned confines of the shopping mall...hahah.





Our turn finally came around at 5:30. By then, the crowd had become pretty huge and everyone was really getting into the music. Great! The perfect kind of crowd to perform in front off. Nobody wants a stone, kayu crowd right?....so pai seh ler.

As always with any performance, there were some slight glitches here and there. The first one came about thanks to yours truly..hahah. I totally forgot one of the steps, but thankfully I managed to recover somewhat (I hope!). Of course, there were some issues with positioning and all, but all in all, both the crowd and ourselves had a great time.


(above: Can't tell that we are exhausted eh)

Right now, we're in the midst of digitizing the video we captured of the dance. Hopefully I'll be able to post it up sometime this week for you all to laugh at, ermm...I mean 'enjoy'.


(above: Me trying my best to look gangsta' and failing terribly at it)


Clubbing in Melaka

The street party stretched on till around 12:30 in the night and by then, the whole outdoor venue was crammed with people bopping and jumping to the music, courtesy of Jakeman. Once that was over, everyone convoyed down to Pure Bar for a night of partying.




(above: Spot the typo error)

Try as I did, I couldn't bring myself to stay up past 3am. Blame it on the fact that I'm getting old ... sighhh. The place was incredibly packed, and the music wasn't too shabby...but after a long and tiring day, all I wanted to do was sack out in the hotel room.

Goodness gracious! Did I actually say that??

NooOoOOo!!

The morning after

The next day, we got up pretty early and went for a little sight-seeing trip around Melaka. Of course no trip to Melaka is truly complete without stopping by for some Chicken Rice Ball.


(above: Bola Nasi Ayam)


(above: Attack of the Chicken Balls!)


(above: A quaint little shop in downtown Melaka)









We finally left Melaka at around noon. It was truly a smashing weekend, one that I was glad to be a part of. Regular readers will notice that this post consisted mainly of photos, with not much writing. Well like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words if you're too lazy to type.

Such a wise saying.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger NickTay said...

looking real getho :)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

nick : No choice ler, have to dress to suit the music.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

I love you and all Bernard, but you were not looking real 'gansta'... hahaha.... And I KNOW that when I come back you're going to take me out to do some serious clubbing right??

4:38 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

bernice : Whaddaya mean I'm not gangsta?? I iz born in da ghetto yo!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting post, waiting to check out the vid.
btw, that pic of u at the hokkien huay kuan is pretty! i mean the building that's pretty, not u. =)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

How can a building be prettier than me? .... *boo hoo*

7:31 PM  
Blogger Bernice said...

well, if you're so gangsta, then we definitely need to come up with a gangsta name for you... and you still haven't answered my question yet... ; )

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernie..i think u look better off without the hat/cap/whatever! haha

9:24 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yea, hats and me don't gel well. No point hiding my luscious locks behind some garment right?...hahahah

bernice : yes, clubbing!! lets go! :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

anonymous : btw, you are yi yin issit? The only other person who calls me Bernie other than you is Li-Ann, and I dont think she reads my blog...heheh

hazel : I believe you, Jason is sloooowwwwwwwww *zzzzzz*. I'll burn all the pics on CD for u lah, it'll cost you 50 bucks...muahahah

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bingo!! Bernie u r so clever...i thought i can remain anonymous...sigh..guess not :p

8:00 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yes, I R very cleverer

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat's with the broken Englands? haha...

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.. glad you enjoyed yourself during the party. We put in a lot of effort planning the damn thing and we're glad the crowd was so great. Thanks for the support!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yea, the crowd was surprisingly supportive. They definitely put the KL crowds to shame...hahahah

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home