Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Good Old Days of Gaming

New CRPG...yummm!

I was at Amcorp Mall yesterday browsing through the collection of pirated...oops ...I mean original software *ahem*. So many games! So little time! Arghhh!! On a whim, I decided to buy 'Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion', the newly launched chapter of the Elder Scrolls saga.

I have no idea why I did that though, seeing how I don't even have the time nowadays to scratch my arse, let alone indulge myself in 20 over hours of fantasy gameplay.




The reason I gave in....

Here's a bit of background on myself. I'm a certified gaming nut. If I lived in Spain, they would have called me 'Gamingo Nuto numero Uno!'. It was a habit I picked up back during my embryonic stage, where I would dance to imaginary Para-Para Sakura moves whilst still in a bagful of placenta-ic goo.

Alright, the above statement is utterly false. But I did pick up gaming at a relatively young age. I still remember my first gaming console, the then-state-of-the-art Micro Genius 8-bit wonder! *wooooh*.



I can vividly recall the day I bought it (after many many weeks of pestering my mom), took it home with me and removed it from its plastic bubble wrap. The machine was brand spanking new and it possessed more than 10 times the processing power of a game'n'watch (anyone remember those?)! An absolutely gob-smacking thing back in those days (yeah, I can hear all of you who are below 18 years old chuckling under your breath).

The very first game I got for that console was Contra, a 2 player game which required you to run around like a headless chicken while shooting at anything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway. It might move later.

As you can see from the screenshot below, the game Contra boasted an amazing total of...ermm...16 colours, a resolution of perhaps 60x60 and two muscled, topless men who resemble Rambo. Addictive stuff!



My micro genius blessed me with several years of pure gaming bliss. Ahhh...who can forget Mario, and Bomberman, and Castlevannia, and...and...




And it went on and on....

As anyone can tell you, once you've been bitten by the gaming bug, you'll be hooked for life. From my humble microgenius, I moved on to the famed Sega Megadrive, Super Nintendo, Sony Playstation, Sega Dreamcast and so on.


(above: The 16-bit wonder, Segaaaaaaaa. Up til now, the ending theme of Sonic 2 rates as one of my favorite tunes ever.)


(above: I prefer it's Japanese name of Super Famicom. It sounds way cooler than 'Super Nintendo' don't you think?)


(above: My undying loyalty to Sega, eventhough they discontinued this machine about a year after I bought it...argghh!)


(above: My first PC gaming rig, a 486DX2 running at a blistering 66mhz...bwahahah. I think my current toaster has more processing power than that. I still loved it though, the PC I mean... not the toaster)


Time to Put my Gaming on hold

Alas, as with all other working folk, I now find that I just don't have the time to devote to this hobby of mine. My days are increasingly filled with work, work and work! And on the times when I do have free time, I'd rather spend it socializing with my friends rather than alone, thumbing away at some keypad.

That doesn't mean that all is lost though. Gaming still holds a spot in my heart, it always has, and I look forward to the time when I can retire....

....and spend the rest of my days trying to beat the darn lap record for Nurburgring in Gran Turismo.

Now THAT is what the Golden Years are all about.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger NickTay said...

I still remember the cheat for Contra. Up, up, Down, Down, left, right, left, right, Select, Start. Muahaha!!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

You forgot the 'B,A,B'..hahah. It's up, up, down, down, B, A, B, select, start :)

Just imagine, I could finish the game last time without even dying once. Now I'd be considered lucky if I could finish it without chucking the console out the window in frustration...hahah.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Bernice said...

oh my gosh, you are such a.... BOY!!!

But I still love you!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Ermm...as opposed to such a girl? *points at you*

12:34 PM  
Blogger frostee said...

Haha! Down memory lane again. Hmm... what about Atari?

Gosh.. didn't know that Contra had cheats! And there I was crying like a baby everytime I die and have to start all over again! Grrr... look at me now! Arrrghh!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

I never owned an Atari, I am not THAT old...hahah. I did play one at my friend's house though.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Arth Akal said...

I remember those gaming obsessions!

Hey, I owned a classic Atari and played legendary games such as Pong and Boxing when i was a kid. I also owned a Micro Genius then bought a Sega later on.
I wonder what happened to those companies now?

Ahhh, Those were the days.......

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, remember one time during church camp when i brought my Super Nintendo... we went nuts that time... haha... so much fun those days...

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am looking forward to the PS3?

why do people like to look backwards but not forwards???

lOl

but anyway, lurve this entry!

God bless!
K.Lo

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh... i miss those games!!! i played those games too!! even though the graphics kinda suck compare to now.. but still.. it was so much fun!! =)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

I heard the PS3 is going to be delayed till 2007....sighh. I saw some games of the XBOX 360 though, delicious!

chopstick : Yeah lah, u camp-rule breaker ... hahahah.

pebbles : nothing beats the games from our childhood eh =)

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home