Sunday, September 02, 2007

Auto Makeover

A touch of JDM

I recently sent one of my cars to the spray shop to have it repainted. I've been driving the car around stock standard for quite some time, but the incessant itch which afflicts all car nuts soon got the better of me.

Yes, once bitten by the bug....there is no known cure.

The Alfa Romeo 147 looks pretty mundane in stock trim, with a lorry-like ride height and wheel gaps huge enough for you to hide a small family of cats in. Plus, the original paint is getting on 4 years now.

Time for a change methinks.





If you have a passing interest in cars, you would have surely noticed that there are more and more continental cars on our roads which have been modded with a bit of JDM influenced flavor.

For the non-car freaks out there (ie, people who have a life), JDM basically means Japan Domestic Market, and in modding terms, it refers to the style sported by all the modified EVOs, Skylines and Supras out there with their huge GT spoilers, crazy-arsed graphics, carbon fibre everything, pavement scraping ride-heights and the obligatory wide-bodied body kit.

Of course, I'm no longer a juvenile street dragger and the thought of a loud flashy car for a daily driver doesn't appeal as much anymore - but I'll always have a soft spot for those things.

What I wanted to achieve with the Alfa was just the right balance of European sobriety and Japanese brashness.

The end result?

I think I got the balance I was looking for :)

(click to enlarge)


(above: Basically the whole kit was taken from the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, with a bit of custom bodywork done to get it to fit the 4-door chassis)


(above: Rims were taken from the Alfa 147 GTA as well, the ride height was lowered around 30-35mm courtesy of Eibach)


(above: The rear bumper of the 147 GTA will look even better with a set of twin exhausts poking out from the side-pods. However for the sake of preserving the original back-box, I opted for just an exhaust tip instead)


(above: The Alfa 147 GTA kit isn't overly 'low', so scraping should hopefully be minimized)


(above: Sighh...if only I had some stonkin' big Brembos to fill up the GTA rims)


(above: Black roofs are in vogue)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I'm back and I'm kicking blog-@ss!

http://www.bigboyalready.com

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm really in love with your 147. Can you tell me roughly how much it cost to get a:
1)3-4yrs 147
2)Repaint
3)Fit it with GTA kit & rims?

Appreciate that a lot! Btw, where is the best place to get a 2nd hand 147?

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Dany said...

Man I love your car !!!!!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just scrolling though google images and found your car to be exactly what im looking to do to mine! looks so good ! ive got a 2002 147 2.0L, and id love to know exactly what modifications it took to get the gta bodykit on there? was there much trouble with the bumpers? also what are you thoughts on the eibach coilovers? worth doing or would you go with just a replacent shock and spring set to lower it? if you could email me back at nedsparksman@gmail.com that would be much appreciated

10:08 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

coach factory outlet
new england patriots jerseys
canada goose outlet
adidas trainers
mont blanc mountain pen
moncler jackets
true religion uk
ugg italia
ugg outlet
nhl jerseys cheap
chenlina20161219

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home