Thursday, April 06, 2006

BernardWeek

Pointless updates on my 'fascinating' life

I don't know why but I haven't had any inspiration lately when it comes to blogging. There just doesn't seem to be anything which is able to stir up in me, the sufficient passion which is required in order to compose a truly powderful post. Sighh...maybe I'm just getting jaded by what's happening around me.

When the 9MP was launched, I thought that I would have a lot of fodder for my posts. But after reading through yet another tome of repetitive, generic statements such as "There is a need to strengthen the overall mindset, culture, values and social institutions" and "Malaysia must pursue policies and programmes which enhance its capacity to compete globally", I kinda lost whatever sliver of motivation I previously had.

C'monnnnn, is there a need to state such glaringly obvious things? Of course we have to strengthen the overall mindset lah, and OF COURSE we have to pursue policies which enhance our ability to compete. DUH!!



Seeing how I don't have anything better to write about, I'll just update you all on what I've been doing this week.


Charity begins when they offer a Porsche as a prize

I kindly donated RM50 to the Malaysia Charity Draw in the hopes that my money would be used to ease the suffering of all the poor, underprivileged folks in Malaysia who eke a bare existence on less than RM1 a day.

Alright, I'm lying! I bought a ticket in the hopes of winning a brand spanking new Porsche Cayman (with a 3.4 litre, 295 horsepower flat-six engine...ooooh). I don't know why I even bother though. The chances of me winning the draw are pratically nil, zip, nada. In fact, I donated RM50 a few years back, hoping to land myself the Porsche Boxster which was then up for grabs anda ll I got for my contribution was a small piece of paper thanking my for my generosity. Pah!

Ah well, at least I can console myself with the thought of the little, malnourished orphan child somewhere whose life is that little bit better as a result of my 50 bucks.


(above: Oops, I meant 'poor orphans, poor orphans, poor orphans')

MCA or DAP?

I've decided to get involved in politics. Yup, I am hereby pledging my uber-talent, skills and dashing good looks for the betterment of Malaysia. For a Chinaman like me who wants to get involved in politics, there really aren't that many parties which you can join. You have your MCA, your DAP and...ermm..that's about it.

Of course, you can do something silly like join PAS or something, but you'd probably have to circumcise your didi, change your name to Abu or Ali or something like that, and swear off pork for the rest of your life. That's a definite no-no for me. Not to mention their policies are quite silly to begin with. Alright, VERY silly.



I got the forms from DAP and MCA liao, now I'm just doing more research into their backgrounds, history, policies and vision in order to decide which one truly has the interest of Malaysians and the Chinese community at heart. Coz ultimately, that's what politics is about right? Serving the people dammit!

Plus, being a politician means that I can get loads of cool pictures taken of me with my mouth half-opened like this...



this...



and this...



At the moment, the closest picture I have to those is this.



Aiyahhh....ok ler, not bad whut. I am still a newbie mah. With practice, I WILL be able to keep my mouth half-opened for hours on end!

Business...hmmmm

I've also been exploring some business ideas with a few friends of mine. One of the idea revoles around apparel, the other around car parts and another around online e-commerce. I won't get into the details of it as some of the ideas are still in the seed stage. But I will say that one of the 3 ideas revolve around leather whips, chains and small furry animals. Intrigued?...bwahahah.

I'll keep you guys updated ler if any one of those ideas take off in a serious way. In closing, I will leave you all with another pointlessly obvious statement taken from the 9MP...

"Developing a high performance culture requires measuring and exacting performance in all areas"

Such wisdom.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bernice said...

awww, you look so cute in your shirt and tie!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

arggghhhhh!!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger ::Lord Apprentice:: said...

there's always keadilan dude..hahahahahha...

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Lord Apprentice : Parti Keadilan doesn't have any clear stand or reason for existing. It was formed solely around the Anwar issue, and is basically on the verge of slipping into irrelevance.

Plus, they do stupid things like protest against the increase in fuel prices. Hellooooo...the rise in the price of oil is a global thing, not as a result of some corrupt Malaysian politician. Morons... hahah.

11:51 AM  
Blogger NickTay said...

I am still hoping sooner or later Malaysia will give up Racial based politics and have political parties that are solely based on the issues and not the parentage of people.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yea, I agree. While such racial-based policies might have been a necessity back in the 50s-70s, I am of the opinion that they have way outlived their usefulness (examples of archaic policies, ICA and NEP)

In a globalized world such as ours, meritocracy ultimately takes centre stage. There are increasingly less and less crutches for people who refuse to work hard to drag themselves out of whatever economic hole they've dug themselves into.

I do believe though that Malaysia will one day be a country where everyone, irregardless of race, can aspire to succeed. Who knows, perhaps one day the 'American Dream' will be replaced by the 'Malaysian Dream' =)

12:16 PM  
Blogger frostee said...

Hmmm... I guess you have taken the advice of that politician who said that if you wanna improve your country, don't just sit there and complaint, join politics.

Happy researching dude. And all the best in politics. I'll place my hope and hopefully vote on you dude! I think you might do well in it. Seriously.

*ahem* seems like some flirting going around in this blog. Ops! Hiaks!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Bernard Yong said...

Yea, it was a strange coincidence. I was thinking of joining for the past few weeks liao, and all of a sudden there's a post in the newspaper urging us to do our bit for politics.... hahah.

So ngam so ngam

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home